Mathematics involves providing children with opportunities to develop and improve their skills in counting, understanding and using numbers, calculating simple addition and subtraction problems; and to describe shapes, spaces, and measures.
Mathematical Development is about...
- Looking forward to being 4 years old.
- Going on a shape walk to see how many different shapes you can discover.
- Sorting the clothes into different sizes for the big and small dolls
- Threading cereals and counting how many—comparing how long your string is to another child’s
- Counting the plates needed in the café
- Going on a number hunt in the nursery garden
- Begin to use simple addition and subtraction in practical activities such as games or number songs/rhymes