Understanding the World
Understanding the world involves guiding children to make sense of their physical world and their community through opportunities to explore, observe and find out about people, places, technology and the environment.
Understanding the World is about…
- Being curious and questioning
- Beginning to recognise and learn about the places and people near to where they live
- Becoming familiar with technology and learning how to use computers.
- Exploring a wide range of materials –spaghetti, cornflour, soap snow, water, sand…
- Learning about how materials can be changed by combining them or heating or cooling
- Finding out about living things—animals and plants
- Testing which vehicle will roll the furthest
- Gaining an awareness of other communities and traditions